Happy Meat-Free Monday, Everyone! I’ve been crazy busy what with the holidays, traveling and kicking ass feminist style. So it’s long overdue to share a new recipe with you. I basically live on this simple recipe that my boyfriend, Jeff, and I created: Sautéed Garlic-Ginger Green Beans with Roasted Almonds.
When I was about 3 years old, I became OBSESSED with tomato soup, which I called red soup (ah how clever of me!), and green beans. For 1 year, ALL I ate was “red soup” and green beans for lunch and dinner. You’d think that after all those green beans I’d be tired of them. But nope, I’m not. I still can’t get enough of ’em.
Don’t feel like slaving over the stove? Then this quick recipe is for you; it’s ridiculously easy to make. The crisp green beans are offset with pungent garlic and ginger, salty soy sauce and slightly bitter toasted taste of the almonds. This is great as a side dish…or a meal, if you’re as obsessed with green beans as I am!
Sautéed Garlic-Green Beans with Roasted Almonds
24 ounces green beans, frozen or fresh
3 tablespoons olive oil
6 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
6 ounces almonds, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cook green beans, either in microwave or in a steamer.
3. Place a thin layer of sliced almonds on a baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes or until golden. You want them toasted, not burnt.
4. In a skillet on medium heat, pour olive oil. Sauté garlic and green beans for approximately 3 minutes.
5. Add ginger, cooking for approximately 1 minute. Add soy sauce and cook for another 2 minutes.
6. Remove skillet from heat. Add sesame oil and sprinkle with roasted almonds.