So tomorrow’s St. Patrick’s Day…huzzah! As a vegan Bostonian (hey, St. Patty’s Day is a big deal here) who loves her libations, I thought I’d share some great links for vegan beer, wine and liquor. Wait, you thought you read that wrong…vegan beer and wine…isn’t alcohol vegan?? Sadly, no.
When people go vegetarian or vegan, drinks aren’t something that automatically spring to mind. You don’t expect to find meat or animal by-products lingering in your beverages. But most alcohol is filtered with albumen (eggs), gelatin (cow or pig bones or hooves), honey, casein (milk protein), charcoal (sometimes from bones) chitosan (shrimp or crab shells) or isinglass (fish bladders). So what’s a vegan to do??
Luckily, there are several handy vegan sites that can help guide you to your perfect booze:
- Barnivore – The best and most famous site for vegan and vegetarian beer, wine and liquor; a truly comprehensive list.
- Frommar’s Vegan Wine Guide – A compilation of over 420 vegan wines from around the world.
- Candle 79 – THE vegan Mecca. The famous NYC restaurant provides a list of the vegan, organic and sustainable beers, white wines, red wines and liquor they serve. And here’s a link to Candle 79’s fabulous eco-cocktails. Their mixologists are genius.
- Sacred Chow – A restaurant in NYC featuring a list of vegan and Kosher wine and beer they serve.
- True Bistro – My FAVE up-scale vegan restaurant in the Boston-area, not only do they make divine brunch and dinner, they serve the most delicious wine and cocktails too. Here’s a list of the vegan wine, beer and cocktails they serve. My faves? Snoqualmie Riesling and their Bloody Mary.
- V-Note – NYC’s vegan bistro and wine bar owned by the proprietors of vegan restaurant Blossom. All of their wine is vegan, organic and/or bio-dynamic.
- Vegan Vanguard – beer list
- Veggie Wines – vegan wine list
So what are The Opinioness’ fave drinks you ask?? (and even if you didn’t ask, you’re going to find out anyways!) You’ll often find my sipping on Mojitos, vodka martinis, White Russians (vodka, Kahlua, milk) with vanilla soymilk instead of dairy milk and Disaronno Amaretto with cranberry juice. I don’t drink beer but I do heart hard cider, preferably Woodchuck and Original Sin. For wine, Asti Spumante and Sangria (with a vegan red wine of course) are great. But my hands down, absolute favorite?? That would be Riesling. Mmmm…I crave the crisp, fruity flavors. Snoqualmie and Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling are fantastic, simply the best.
Craving something a bit more festive? Either minty or some shade of green?? Drink a Midori Sour. Add Creme de Menthe to your vegan hot chocolate. Or check out this delectable sounding recipe for Vegan Bailey’s Irish Cream from the Epicurious Vegan.
What are your fave vegan drinks??